Yellowjackets move to 10-1 with 2-0 showing at Anoka Holiday Classic

Yellowjackets move to 10-1 with 2-0 showing at Anoka Holiday Classic

Coon Rapids, MN - The RCTC men's basketball headed into the last week of classes for the fall with an 8-1 record and were receiving votes in the NJCAA III Men's Basketball poll, but they had one last final exam before the break.  The Jackets headed to Coon Rapids to take on Bay College and Bismarck State in the Anoka Holiday Classic.  The Yellowjackets passed the test over the weekend as they downed Bay College (for the second time this season) 95-86 in the opener.  RCTC needed a little "extra credit" in the second game as they went to overtime to drop Bismarck state in a thriller 93-91.

The Yellowjackets are now 10-1 and have won 9 straight heading into a well-desereved break.

In game one against Bay College the Yellowjackets found themselves trailing at the half 40-44 before erupting for 55 points in the second half for the win.  RCTC got big games from sophomores Karmoga Lero (26 points), Ray Adams (20 points), and Kong Kong (17 points) in the win. Despite scoring 95 points it was the Jackets defense that proved they key as they had 11 steals and forced 22 turnovers in the game, while holding Bay to 46% shooting from the floor.  RCTC on the other-hand shot 54% from the field (including 11-23 from beyond the arc). Lero hit on 7-8 from downtown in the win.

Game two proved to be the best game of the tournament as the Mystics of Bismarck State and the Yellowjackets went back and forth for 40 minutes, and needed an extra 5 to determine the winner.  RCTC outscored Bismarck 12-10 in the overtime to earn the hard fought win. Kong Kong lead the way for RCTC with 20 points, but it was Devin Melzer's 17 points off the bench that proved the difference.  Melzer was 5-8 from the floor and knocked down 7-8 free throws to help secure the win.  Joining Kong and Melzer in double figures were Antonio Maddox with 16 and Mickey Jah with 12. The Jackets and Mystics shot an identical 45.2% from the floor, but 11 additional shot attempts proved key, as the Jackets outrebounded Bismarck 45-36 in the game.  Kong  lead they way with 9 boards as Ray Adams added 8. Jah lead the way with 8 assists to go with his 12 points.

RCTC is now off until January 3rd when they head to the Dakota County Technical College Classic.  The Yellowjackets will take on NDSCS in game one on the 3rd at 4:00pm before playing the host DCTC at 3:00pm on the 4th.

 

View: Mobile | Desktop